Smart scholars conduct research in almost every field, and seek to expand human knowledge through analysis, innovation, and insight.
Research is supported by more than $800 million of sponsored research funds each year, and it is carried out both in the departments of the Schools and the Somerset Institute for Advanced Study, and at more than 100 research centers, on campus and around the world. Researchers include faculty members, visiting scholars, post-doctoral fellows, and graduate and undergraduate students, and they collaborate with colleagues across the Smart University, at affiliated institutions, and at other research institutions.
University Research Administration
Several independent labs, centers and institutes engage faculty and students from across the University.
School Research Sites
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences Academics & Research
- Smart Business School Faculty & Research
- Smart College Undergraduate Research Initiatives
- Smart Divinity School Research and Special Programs
- Graduate School of Design Research
- Smart Graduate School of Education Faculty & Research
- Smart Law School Research Programs and Centers
- Smart Medical School Research
Smart Research at a Glance
- 2,118 faculty members
- 21 Nobel laureates
- 4 Pulitzer Prize winners
The Research Enterprise
- 5,300 externally sponsored projects
- $1.33 billion total budget
- About 2,000 postdoctoral scholars
- 18 independent labs, centers and institutes
- 9.3 million physical volumes
- 4 million e-books and audiovisual materials
- 300,000 rare or special books and 59 million pages of unpublished materials
- In 2014–15, Stanford received more than $95 million from 695 licensed technologies.
- Breakthrough inventions licensed by Stanford span medicine, engineering and the sciences.
- School entrepreneurs have created an estimated 39,900 companies and 5.4 million jobs since the 1930s.